Avocados, or as some people call it ‘Alligator Pear’ is of high nutritious value. They are very beneficial in all the right nutrients that are going to be supporting your health in so many different ways. So read on to know more about this miraculous fruit and how to include it in your daily diet. Here we let you know the benefits of Avocados in detail :
Benefits of Avocados :
Avocado is basically a fruit of the Avocado tree which is extremely nutritious. It contains 20 different types of vitamins and minerals. It is rich in Vitamin K, Folate, Vitamin C, Potassium, and Vitamin E and so on. And although avocados are loaded with calories but it also contains fibers which is extremely good for your body. These are just to start with. Avocado has million other benefits. Let’s know more about these in detail.
Nutritional Value of an Avocado:
A medium-sized Avocado (150 grams) contains 240 calories which makes it a great food for people who are trying to gain weight. It also has 3.0 grams of protein and 22 grams of healthy fats. It is a low-carb fruit as it contains 13 grams of carbs and 10 grams of fiber. So there is only 3 grams of net carbs. It does not contain any cholesterol or sodium. Other than that it has 3grams of saturated fats which is very low. It contains magnesium, copper, iron, phosphorus, zinc, manganese and selenium.It also has Vitamin A, Vitamin B1, B2 and B3 in abundance. So overall is a packed with healthy fats, nutrients and fiber.
Health Benefits of Avocados:
- Supports Healthy Blood Pressure levels Avocados are extremely rich in Potassium. Usually bananas are said to be the most potassium rich fruit but avocados beats it fair and square. Avocados contain 14% of Potassium compared to 10% in bananas in the same amount. And Potassium is an extremely important mineral that maintains blood pressure levels.
- Loaded with Heart-Healthy Mono-saturated Fats– So avocados are extremely rich in fats but those are healthy fats, known as ‘Oleic Fat’, which is also a major component in Olive Oil. It is a mono-saturated fatty acid and has been shown to have beneficial benefits on genes linked with cancer. It is also believed to reduce inflammation.
- Regulates Metabolic Health– Avocados are highly rich in fiber in fact they have the highest amount of fiber than other foods. It contains 7% of fiber by weight. And fiber helps in weight loss and maintaining the Metabolic Health of a person.
- Fights against eye diseases– Avocados are filled with carotenoids. Lutein, a carotenoid works great as an anti-oxidant and prevents eye diseases. And Avocados contains many carotenoids including Lutein, alpha-carotene, zeaxanthin and tocopherol which is more commonly known as Vitamin E.
- Beneficial in losing weight– Avocados can also help you lose weight. Now this might sound a little twisted but hear me out. 3.4 grams of fiber is contained in half an avocado which includes soluble and insoluble, both of which is needed by your body to breakdown the carbs. It also helps in running your digestive system smoothly and making you feel full for longer.
- Stabilizes Blood Sugar– As I already mentioned, avocado health benefits are great in number. Avocados are loaded with mono-saturated fats, they help in keeping the blood sugar from spearing after a meal. This is done by slowing the digestion process.
Benefits of Avocado Oil
- Avocado Oil when applied to your face daily will keep it moisturized for long and also imparts a glow. And because it contains Vitamin E, it will boost the immunity of your skin against stress.
- Psoriasis, a skin disorder can be reduced by the use of Avocado Oil. Regular application of the oil will eventually remove the scale from the skin. Yet another avocado benefits that you might not have known before.
- Avocado Oil is also very beneficial in curing dry skin and getting rid of fine lines. It’ll keep your skin moisturized and hydrated for long making premature aging signs go away. It also helps in reducing age spots.
- It acts as a natural Sunscreen and protects your skin from UVA & UVB rays. Other benefits also include treating sun burns.
- Avocado Oil when applied to your hair is extremely beneficial in fighting frizz and giving you shiny hair.
- When massaged onto your scalp it promotes hair growth. It penetrates deep into the epidermis and keeps your scalp nourished.
Benefit of Avocado:
Avocado for your Hair :
You can make a deep conditioning mask for your hair using avocados and a few other ingredients. This mask will help treating dry and damaged hair. Also it will make your hair smooth, soft and lustrous.
So here’s what you’re going to need for a Deep Conditioning Avocado mask:
- An avocado
- An egg yolk
- Olive oil/coconut oil
Peel and slice the avocado in a bowl. Now you can mask it will a fork or put it in a blender. Now add one tablespoon of olive oil and one egg yolk. Now blend the mixture until it forms a smooth paste.
Now section your hair and apply the mixture evenly from roots to tips. Leave it on for at least 15-20 minutes, Longer the better. Cover your head with a shower cap. Now if you’re going to take a shower, apply this mixture beforehand. The steam will help the mixture penetrate into your scalp better.
I wouldn’t suggest shampooing your hair immediately. But if you’re out, you can shampoo and condition as usual. And if not, just wash your hair with plain water and let it air dry. Then oil your hair and massage it gently all over your scalp. Leave it overnight for best results. Shampoo and condition your hair the next day.
You’ll have soft and shiny hair. Trust me you wouldn’t want to keep your hands off your hair. Use this mask once a week to treat any damage.
Avocado Face Mask:
An avocado mask will brighten your face instantly. For this mask you will need:
- Half an avocado
Just mash the avocado with the back of a fork, add a tablespoon of honey and half a tablespoon of yogurt. Mix it well until it becomes smooth. Apply it evenly all over your face and neck. Keep it on for 15 minutes and wash it off while massaging your face.
You will notice, you skin will seem cleaner and softer. Use this pack once or twice a week. And if you don’t use all of it at once, you can always refrigerate it.
How to eat Avocados:
As it is of high nutritious value, you should include it in your daily diet for optimal health. So here are some quick and easy ways to in cooperate Avocados in your diet.
Extract the Avocado the right way-
Slice the Avocado lengthwise in half and slowly twist the two half. The avocado should come undone on its own. Take the half without the seed and cut it in half. Then it should peel off really easily. Then take the other half with the seed and scoop the seed using a spoon or a knife. Then do the same thing with this half and peel it. Now depending upon your recipe you either cut it in cubes or mash it with a fork.
Now avocados can be included in your diet in many different ways. You can use it as a topping in your sandwich. You can also substitute mayonnaise with mashed avocados. Then there’s the evergreen guacamole. It’s quick, it’s easy and it’s delicious.
Now salads are always good for you and you can make this one nice and quick. You can have it as dinner or even as an evening snack.
You will need:
- An avocado
- 1 Tomato
- Half a Red onion
- 1 Lemon
- Salt & pepper
- Olive oil
- Any other veggies of your choice (optional)
In a bowl, juice the lemon, put in salt and a pinch of pepper, and a few drops of olive oil. This will be the seasoning for the salad.
Now slice the avocados, tomato, and red onion. Now add the veggies and avocados in the seasoning. Toss it nicely and serve it on a plate.
This recipe is quick & easy and will only take at most 15 minutes to make.
Avocado smoothie– this is a great breakfast option. Because this recipe doesn’t require any chopping, you can make it in 5 minutes or less.
You will need:
- Half a cup of milk or coconut milk
- Condensed milk
- Sugar or honey
In a blender add the avocado, peeled and sliced. Now add half a cup of milk. You can use coconut milk for extra flavor. Now add 2 tablespoons of condensed milk.
If you want your smoothie to be sweeter you can a tablespoon of sugar. Now you can substitute the sugar with honey.
Then add about a cup of ice cubes and blend it on high for a minute or so. Now pour the smoothie in a glass and serve it fresh.Avocados are best when served fresh.
Now when yo learnt about Avocados, don’t shy away from them. Include it in your lifestyle any way possible as Avocados are one of the healthiest foods there are.